After the huge response we got for our Bird Feeding Bundle competition (please read the fabulous comments!), we’ve decided to put together a list of the top ten most practical tips for attracting birds to your garden. Please read on…
1. Use a WIDE VARIETY OF BIRD FOOD (a varied ‘menu’) to attract different types of birds to the garden – NEVER EVER leave your feeder empty
2. Use a range of DIFFERENT BIRD FEEDERS, stations and tables, and keep them in the same place so birds remember where to feed.
3. Place the feeders in the CORRECT LOCATION in the garden, for example under cover of a low hanging branch, near a shrub or close to a small tree. Using cover provides some protection from predators and allows your birdies to feel safe and sound
4. Ensure there’s a daily supply FRESH WATER for drinking and bathing
5. Keep your garden FREE OF CATS. And, if you can, ask your neighbours to get rid of their cats, too (perhaps not…!)
Sorry cat, you are barred from the garden.
6. CLEAN THE FEEDERS at the end of the day, ready for the following morning
7. FEED REGULARLY, and with a wide range of food, to maximise the amount of birds to your garden. Do this all year round and, if possible, every day.
8. Use LIVE MEALWORM – birds love this!
9. MAKE YOUR GARDEN BIRD FRIENDLY and set up a nature area for your wild birds – don’t be too precious about a patch of ‘wild growth’
Perhaps a little over the top, but it could work!!!
10. GROW INSECT-ATTRACTIVE PLANTS in the garden; foliage that is pollen-rich, shrubs with berries and patches of nettles will do well to attract hoards of creepy crawlies i.e. ‘live bird food’.